Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Life after college

     So this may be one of those posts that doesn't have a point and comes out as a complete ramble.  But there is a point out here.  This post is directed to my friends who are college seniors and are graduating soon. (Or anyone in college who hasn't graduated yet.  Hell, I'll even include high school kids who don't plan to go to college).
     College is a very strange, strange environment.  On one hand, you have the opportunity to study what you love, and it's great.  I have fond memories of the debates, the parties, the social life, and the free food.  (To Saint Mike's students: Alliot food seems a lot better once you have to buy your own food.)  In a sense, you live in a bubble for four years in order to get a degree that says you are an expert in such and such a field.
     Now, I have a problem with this bubble, but more on that in another post, because I can only cover so much at one time.  Like I said, this is addressed to people who are going to graduate college in a few months.
     When I graduated, I thought I was going to change the world, to make a huge freaking difference.  As a political science junkie, I thought I could use my degree to save everyone from the evil politicians and corporations.  (Or something like that).  I was going to start right after I graduated.
     There were a few problems with my plan.  First of all, you have to be able to pay rent and bills and student loans.  School isn't cheap, and I got off relatively easy.  Bills are going to be your biggest priority.  And make no mistake, they can crush you.  Your parents aren't going to bail you out of this.
     The second problem is that the world didn't want to be saved.  This may not be true for every person, but in general, people will hold on to self-destructive behavior until it either kills them or they are forced to change it because it might kill them.
     With that being the reality, my (probably unwanted) advice is simple.  First of all, START LOOKING FOR A JOB NOW!  It's rough out there, and if you're one of those people who got a liberal arts degree, it's going to be even harder.  Secondly, don't be too proud.  If the situation warrants it, working in retail is not below you.
     I'm not saying that it's a good idea to give up your dreams, but make sure you can survive first.  There's no point in trying to save the world if you can't save yourself.
     Take care,
     The Friendly Cynic

No comments:

Post a Comment