Thursday, January 17, 2013

Is it really that cold?

     Remember when I said I was going to be writing about fairly random stuff?  This is one of those days where it is a pretty random topic, and let me tell you, I can stay on the same topic for a long time.  But luckily (or perhaps unluckily), this shouldn't take too long.  [Proceeds to write a 12-page essay].
     For the past couple of days, we had a nice thaw in Vermont.  I live in Winooski, and it was nice to be able to get outside in weather above freezing and just walk from place to place.  In fact, it was downright pleasant.  But as happens with January thaws, the cold rolled in and it felt like winter again.  In short, the temperature plummeted.  Or so I'm told.
     See, the thing is that I'm not really all that affected by what other people consider temperature "extremes".  I actually do fairly well in cold weather, and so much so, that my definition of cold is considerably different than that of other people.  Right now, it's seven degrees Fahrenheit in Winooski, and it doesn't seem that cold.  I just walked fifteen or so minutes from the store to my house and it wasn't all that bad, and I wasn't wearing gloves.  I probably should have been, but I wasn't.
     Point is, everyone at the store was talking about how miserably cold it was, and it just doesn't feel too bad to me.  Now, if you work all day outside or you don't have a place to go, I can understand the sentiment, but I don't get it.  In fact, there's a Special Weather Statement for my area that says it's very cold, and I'm still unmoved.
     I don't know why this is.  I've lived in Vermont my entire life, so this might just be me having grown up here and adjusted to the elements, like someone who lives in Phoenix and doesn't mind a ninety-degree day.  If anything, I do better in "extreme" cold as supposed to "extreme" heat.  There's the explanation that I might just be crazy.
     Sorry about the rant.  I know talking about the weather ranks up there in terms of boring subjects, but I thought it was interesting.  Anyways, take care and stay warm - however you define it.

No comments:

Post a Comment